The HONOLULU SHARKS Basketball Club is a 501 (C)(3) Non-Profit Hawaii Corporation Amateur Athletic Union (AAU) who supports and promotes competitive basketball. Our organization is committed to developing student-athletes between the ages of 10-17 to become successful basketball players at the High School and NCAA College Divisions I, II, III and NAIA levels. Developing youth to be successful in competitive basketball at a high level also prepares them for success in life. The lessons taught by our coaches include essential tools for developing youth for success in life. These lessons include how to compete, leadership, self-discipline, respect (self & others), accountability (self & others), hard work, mental preparedness and community service. ___________________________________________ Playing basketball for the HONOLULU SHARKS BASKETBALL this season.
Player Commitment & Contract
In exchange for the privilege of being on the team, I promise to do the following: 1. Attend practice on time every day or notify the coaches (ahead of time if possible) why I am unable to attend. One unexcused absence - sit out a game. Three – will result in dismissal from the team. ***Those student athletes that live out of town and unable to attend all practices as a result will be handled at the discretion of the SHARKS coaching staff.*** 2. Focus on what the team is doing and try to use the practice time to improve my skills and my physical abilities. **Those who put little or no effort into practices AND on their own time will get little or no playing time.**
3. Treat everyone involved with our team with respect and love. This includes coaches, teammates and their families, officials, opponents, and fans of both teams.
4. Go to the coaches first if I have a problem related to the team. I will not complain to others until I have given the person I have a problem with an opportunity to correct it.
5. Work hard to develop good habits by practicing with good form and maximum effort. The habits we develop in practice are the habits that will determine how we play in the games.
6. Practice good health habits including getting 8 hours sleep when possible, eating breakfast, eating healthy foods, abstaining from alcohol, illegal drugs, tobacco, excessive pop or soda.
7. Attend school all day. Each student must attend all day unless excused by the administration to be eligible to play or practice that day.
8. Understand you are a STUDENT-ATHLETE – with STUDENT coming first. You must turn in your official grade reports from your school after each quarter or semester. All SHARKS players must maintain at least a 2.3 GPA to be eligible to practice or play in games. If you GPA falls below a 2.3GPA you will be indefinitely suspended from the team until you reach the minimum GPA to become eligible again.
9. Missing a SHARKS practice or game because of your participation in another athletic event is NOT an acceptable reason to miss a SHARKS event, unless it is for your school team. Attendance will be kept by all SHARKS coaches. Unexcused absences or tardiness will be dealt with at the sole discretion of the SHARKS staff. If you play with another Team in conflict with the SHARKS you will be DISMISSED from the Team immediately; except if you play on your schools Team.
Parent Commitment & Contract As a parent of the above named player, I promise to do the following:
1. Influence & support my child to abide by the contract they have signed & committed to follow. 2. Be an example of good sportsmanship at games by making only positive comments about the players, keeping criticism of the officiating to a minimum of volume and frequency, and treating fans of our opponents with respect. 3. Cooperate in helping with car pooling to games and practices. Make all players riding in your vehicle wear their seat belts. 4. I understand that playing time is at the sole discretion of the coach. 5. Contact the coaches first if you have a complaint. 6. I will not gossip, or talk about the coaches other players or parents with anyone and if I have a complaint I will contact the coach or the person involved directly. 7. I will entrust the HONOLULU SHARKS coaching staff to do their jobs to the best of their abilities. I will not attempt to counter-coach my son/daughter during practices or games. 8. I understand the following three topics are not up for discussion with the HONOLULU SHARKS coaching staff at any point during the season: a) playing time, b) game strategy, c) critiquing other SHARKS players. 9. I understand that the Team requires loyalty to the Team, commitment and honor to the Sharks Code.
Coaches Commitment We, the coaches, promise to do the following:
1. Treat each player like with respect while at the same time having high expectations of them to push themselves 2. Give each player who pays attention and tries hard approximately equal practice time in scrimmages and drills. Those who do not apply their maximum effort or don’t pay attention will be replaced in scrimmages or drills. 3. Attempt to play each player in every game. In close games, the playing time may be less or not at all. 4. Be examples of good sportsmanship and character. 5. Teach your child the skills to become the best player they can be and the life skills to succeed in life. 6. Listen to any complaints parents or players may have and respond fairly with respect.
Coaches, Player & Parents: 1. SCHOOL COMES FIRST. Your grades and true classwork come before basketball. We are not talking about extra-curricular activities. We are referring to circumstances that will affect your grades. Do your homework when you should and PRIOR to practice or games. DON'T WAIT UNTI THE LAST MINUTE TO DO YOUR HOMEWORK OR STUDYING, and school will rarely interfere with your basketball. 2. All practices are required. We know that circumstances will arise when you must miss a practice, (vacation, illness, school event or church event). when this occurs the player is to A) Inform the coach in advance OR, B) Bring a note signed by a parent stating the circumstances of why practice was missed.
3. All players are to treat teammates and coaches WITH RESPECT AND COURTESY. Behavior that "puts other players and coaches down," results in profanity, or demonstrates lack of self control/respect will not be tolerated.
4. WE KNOW THAT BEING PART OF THIS DEMANDING BASKETBALL EXPERIENCE WILL REQUIRE SACRIFICES, adjustments and EXTRAORDINARY COMMITMENT on the part of the players, their families, and the coaches. However, we are working to achieve an EXTRAORDINARY team/organization and individual success which demands EXTRAORDINARY EFFORT ON ALL OUR PARTS. In return, we have an opportunity to create a positive experience that could affect all of our lives forever.
5. Players will be constantly evaluated on their demonstration of coachability, hustle, mental and physical toughness, LOYALTY TO TEAM, UNSELFISHNESS, and the desire to improve their skills. Our goal is to field a team of players that consistently demand more of themselves, than is demanded by the coaches.
6. In EVERY game situation, OUR TEAM WILL PLAY TO WIN. Game substitutions will be made with that solely in mind. However, there will be situations where a player may be pulled from a game, despite their ability to contribute.
7. The members of this team ARE EXPECTED TO WORK HARDER and with discipline, hustle, enthusiasm, teamwork, and dedication THAN ANY OTHER TEAM IN HAWAI’I. This is not a goal, THIS IS AN EXPECTATION!
BY PLAYING FOR THE HONOLULU SHARKS BASKETBALL CLUB PLAYERS AND PARENTS AGREE TO ABIDED BY THESE RULE AND CONDITIONS. THIS IS AN ONGOING OBLIGATION SO LONG AS YOU PRACTICE AND PLAY FOR THE HONOLULU SHARKS BASKETBALL CLUB.